Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Father of it all?

I'm definitely seeing the progression from bubblegum to glam rock to punk rock, but where exactly does bubblegum come from? From what I've seen, it's a result of record companies cleaning up the sound of local garage bands or replacing them with studio musicians. Geez, I guess we still can blame everything on garage rock! Curse you, power chords!

And if you go further back, the earliest garage bands were doing their own hyper-teenager versions of '50s rock 'n' roll. So I guess you can still blame the blues, then.

So what the heck was happening before the blues came along and hit the reset button on popular music? Well, the earliest forms of jazz were also pretty much created by black musicians, so I guess you could say it was folk music. The highbrow crowd was listening to Romantic classical music, and then the experimental music of Stravinsky and Schoenberg. And we all know that when it comes to rock music, that stuff only influenced the weird bands.

And now, I'll wait and see if anybody knows what the heck I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment