Friday, April 9, 2010

More stuff about pedals ...and pedalboards

After doing some research, I can see that there was a lot I didn't know about the order in which I wanted all the effects I want to be connected. I'm still gonna have to look up each and every pedal to make sure of the sort of power supply I need (it actually didn't occur to me that I would need one at all), but I think I've cleaned up my plans a bit now.

Thing is, it's also pretty darn confusing sometimes. The article I used as reference said I needed a buffer- and gave me very good reasons why- but I was saying to myself, "Okay, I know what a buffer does, but what in God's name does one LOOK like?? Who makes them, anyway?"
I looked it up and immediately found what I believe I'm looking for. Not only that, it seems like I've taken care of finding a buffer, a clean boost, and a treble booster all in one fell swoop! (Although I realize now that if I really want to just merely boost my guitar's treble frequencies, I'd have to get an EQ pedal, which is not something I really want.)

Now if only I could figure out where to put it in the signal chain and whether or not I still need the clean boost I had found earlier...

My problem is that I'm not actually going to be able to put all these effects together for years, perhaps, because of my budget. I'm just trying to plan ahead, that's all- I'm finally deciding what I want to sound like!

On a related note, I'm not really sure why anyone would want to diminish the effects of their fuzz by putting a buffer in between your wah and your fuzz, or even putting those Foxrox Wah Retrofit things in. It sounds very strange to me. But I guess since I'm such a huge Hendrix fan, an untouched wah/fuzz combo is exactly what I want!

Also, I still don't know what the f$%^ an "effects loop" is. No one's explained it to me. When I think of "loops" in relation to music, I think of "Tomorrow Never Knows" and stuff like that- so the term confuses me. So far no one's given me any reason at all for wanting to use one, so quite frankly I don't care if I never find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment