Wednesday, July 22, 2009

'09: year of celebrity death?

Is it just me or is a lot of important people dying all of a sudden? A lot of these people meant something to me. Billy Mays, Farah Fawcett (not too familiar with her), Gordon Waller, Heinz Edelmann... there's been several others in previous years (Billy Preston for example) as well.

Wow, three of those have to do with the Beatles somehow.

This is going to be controversial, but I'm not really saddened by Michael Jackson's passing. As far as I'm concerned, the talented, sane, black Michael Jackson died years ago.

You know whose recent death makes me cry? Wayne Allwine, the then-current voice of Mickey Mouse. He was the Mickey of my generation, and probably the best as far as bringing personality and emotion to the Mouse is concerned. It couldn't have a been a week before his obituary appeared that we had finished watching every episode of House of Mouse. My mind was blown. "Oh my God! Mickey's voice is gone! They must be scrambling to find a replacement now."

I still get misty-eyed by it, even as I'm typing.

No comments:

Post a Comment