Saturday, February 19, 2011

Congratulations, punk rockers...

The Wonder Pets Save the Skunk Rocker

...you've been reduced to an episode of a kiddie show.

(UPDATE: The full episode's unavailable... so here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqWfAxfiSk)

Should you be offended? I don't really know. I mean, I certainly can tell that the episode doesn't touch upon certain key aspects of the punk attitude: that is, the various levels and shades of rebellion. But I guess pre-schoolers wouldn't get that.

I mean, I actually like The Wonder Pets- mostly for the music- but this strikes me as kind of risky. What if a kid wants to listen to punk, and finds that there are few that are G-rated? I'd recommend the Ramones myself, but not if you're uptight about violence.

From what I know, the music sounds right- it would seem that the writers wanted to treat it as a mere musical genre rather than a genre entangled with philosophy- and frequently, politics- like so many people do. I do admit, though, that it is odd that they should for some reason seem to be specifically imitating Oi! music, which is frequently associated with working-class populism and anarchism. It might've been better, I think, if they did pop punk.

Also, the lyrics are kinda dumb- several "oi's" sprinkled throughout doesn't make for punk lyrics, and I can't help but wonder if some kids will think that's all there is to it.
I don't think a keytar really belongs there, either. That's more of a New Wave thing, from what I know.

UPDATE: Josh Selig has done it again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywisIot1wU
This time, the music is definitely more polished- in that it's a more complete song. They do address one key philosophy of punk culture this time: individualism.
I'm wondering what motivated this decision... it's all very curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment