Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mice and Ducks

I'm definitely liking Floyd Gottfredson better than Carl Barks so far. There's something a bit more real about them- perhaps this is due to the more rubbery drawing style and Mickey's peculiar dialect and his occasional dives into moral grey areas. Carl Barks' drawings always struck me as being somewhat rigid, and the dialog not necessarily naturalistic.
Perhaps there isn't as much high-flying exotic adventure in the Mickey comics, but there's certainly plenty of action, notorious crime, intrigue and suspense. I could easily compare Duck comics to suburban sitcom or adventure films, and Mouse comics to gangster and mystery films.

I dunno, perhaps I have a desire to be less predictable. But I do think Mickey has untapped potential still...

No comments:

Post a Comment