Now that we're entering the 2010's, this leaves me in the curious position of being part of a generation that is no longer new. My age group was about the same age as Andy from Toy Story when it was new, and we've all grown up like Andy did in Toy Story 3. This makes my generation officially a nostalgic one, and therefore we are a niche market for nostalgic '90s product.
I personally subsisted primarily on three food groups: Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and cartoons produced by Steven Spielberg. When it comes to Disney, we mostly saw the most popular movies on tape, and were a little skimpy on Disney Afternoon.
Like every other television viewer, there are plenty of shows that we watched that were extremely popular, and others that weren't. The biggest problem with that is that DVD releases are very inconsistent.
So it frustrates me to no end that even popular shows like Animaniacs don't get every season released. The Spielberg cartoons show no sign of getting further volumes, and many lesser known shows that I like either get incomplete releases (including so-called "best of's") or none at all.
It's like... what's the point? Okay, I get that sales aren't as good as the copyright holders would like, but the people who were buying them would surely want to buy more. Why start something and not finish? Those who would want to see most of a television series would surely want to see all of it.
So here's a list of cartoons I wish would have proper DVD releases or further season box sets:
- The rest of season 3, and seasons 4 and 5 of Animaniacs (UPDATE: At long last! Volume 4 has been released!)
- Seasons 2 and 3 of Tiny Toon Adventures (ideally with a bonus disc of the specials, Pinky, Elmyra and The Brain and the unique episode of The Plucky Duck Show)
- Rocko's Modern Life (UPDATE: Luckily, this show has since had seasons 1-2 released, and 3-4 are also slated, but unfortunately they're the censored versions.)
- The Angry Beavers (UPDATE: This series, thank God, is now being released, with seasons 1-2 and half of season 3 already out and the rest currently not yet announced.)
- Sheep in the Big City (okay, so maybe this one's from the early '00s, but it's still underrated)
- Goof Troop and Quack Pack